Thursday, December 1, 2011

I Promise I Can Do This

I'm getting kind of tired of hearing something at work. It's not one single sentence...or word...it's a concept.
It's the simple idea that my coworkers are all just waiting for my burnout.
They don't mean it in a rude way. They're not saying it to irritate me. They're simply stating what they believe to be fact.
I'm still "new". I've only been here a month and a half. Eventually...I'll give up too.

You know what? They're wrong.

Tonight, I spent time with the boys. I sat in the doorways of three separate boys. I helped them look up Jordan's and ACG's on the internet. I wrote their Christmas lists for them. I told them about Adele. I educated them on Jimmy Eat World. I laughed with them. I also taught them how to move like Bernie...and then they laughed at me.

As I clocked out for the evening, one coworker praised me for spending quality time with the guys tonight. Another coworker warned me, "just wait, you'll run out of energy, you're still new".

It made me mad. I'm not going to say that I'm 100% always in a good mood but I will say one thing...I don't give up. I love a challenge. I love my job. It challenges me every. single. day. I've come into work pissed off. On Sunday I backed my car out of my garage, misjudged the distance and broke off my side mirror. In the same minute I spilled steaming hot coffee on my crotch. A moment later I spilled that same coffee on my hand. By the time I got to work I could have screamed at the next person who looked at me wrong. Instead, I walked in the door at work and was greeted by one of the boys yelling "SARAH!!!!!!!!! You're working today!" I was instantly laughing and my mood was shifted.

I honestly, seriously, literally love these boys. They are terrors. They are, at times, literally a safety risk. They wear you out. I come home from work and I am exhausted. They are, however, hilarious. When we're having a conversation about baked goods and I say how much I love chocolate cake and then one goes "I don't like chocolate...except my women" HILARIOUS. They just make my day.

So, I didn't say it then, but let me say it now. I WILL NEVER RUN OUT OF ENERGY. Even if I think about running out of energy, or I think I won't make it then I will do one of two things. I will play a David Guetta track in my head or I will just run up the stairs for a sudden burst of energy. I'll do those things, or I'll just walk up to one of the boys and beg him to talk in his "proper" voice...which consists of a British accent and no ebonics. Seriously, hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment