Monday, February 20, 2012

twenty.four

Friday was my 24th birthday. I decided to spend a few days back home with my family. The plan was for me to get there in the morning, but I slept in and took a long time getting ready and then dilly-dallied around the house. 

24 years old.

I ended up leaving my house around 2:15 and after stopping to get gas and a beverage, I was on my way. I love how short the drive is now that I live farther south :) By 3:30 I was tracking down my brother to get him to the mall. His birthday is on Saturday, so I wanted to take him birthday present shopping. Two hours later we left the mall and headed to my dad's house where I helped him get totally Marley swagged out. Benefit to working with inner city kids? I can lace shoes like a mo-fo.
This is my brother Jake. Please note the new DC's, with Marley laces, Marley shirt, Marley wristband and you can't see them very well but he has Marley tapers in his ears. Amazingness. 

My bro and I hung out with my dad for a few hours, ate a feast of Chinese food and then met up with my cousin at a local bar so she could buy me a birthday drink. "Western Tap" is quite the anomaly, I must say. It's located on Western St., deduct 2 points for lack of creativity. It is an area of town that in the past 10 years has evolved into a quasi-ghetto. Which is why it makes it that much funnier that smack dab in the middle of it there is straight up cowboy themed western bar. Too funny. We chose it because it was in between my cousin and my dad's house and it was ridiculous. 

Somehow, Friday night, I ended up at 21st birthday party for a kid I had never met and still haven't met because at 10:30 they carried him in from the bars completely unconscious. I had a good time though. I ran into some people I knew in high school, got to hang with my brother and had an all around funny experience. Saturday, Jake and I didn't wake up til 1:30...

I spent the rest of the weekend pretty lowkey. Stopped at my grandma's, went to church Sunday morning and then had to stop at my fave coffee spot. 

I then somehow ended up at the freaking mall again. The hippie store had buy 1, get 1 jewelry sales.  I made 6 jewelry purchases, the greatest of these being: 
A mustache ring.

I told my brother that I'd been waiting forever for this moment. This moment being the one where him and I are best friends and have a blast together. I love my brother so much. He's the coolest.
 

I booked it out of town about 2:15 so I could make it to Orland for the 4:45 showing of The Vow with my friend Abby. Spoiler alert: that movie sucks. We headed to our favorite pickle fry eatery, Houlihan's, and I finally tried the mini martini flight that I've been dying to try for a year. $9 for 3 mini martinis of your choosing! 
Adam & Eve, Key Lime, Chocolate Guavatini

Overall I had a pretty amazing weekend. I'm back home now and still have four more days off! Today I've been a bum, I have school tonight. Tomorrow is session 2 of my sleeve and then class tomorrow night. Wednesday, keep me in your prayers, I have an interview for a promotion!

No comments:

Post a Comment