Saturday, March 9, 2013

Herman Carver

There is a man in my life who ha never failed me. My entire life I've been a "grandpa's girl". I share my grandpa's ginger hair and freckles. We were both at one time tall and lanky. We both enjoy bananas with our morning coffee.

Today I was faced with the thought of losing him. I got the phone call that he was in the hospital my brother looked at me, saw my face, and immediately knew it was bad. Everyone knows I'm a grandpa's girl. My flannel shirt fixation is clearly his doing and what other 25 year old knows who Paul Harvey is?

I would "work" in my grandpa's shop. He'd be caning and I would be chiseling...yes CHISELING, on the work bench at all of 8 years old. We'd listen to lite rock and "...the rest of the story". My grandpa showed The Rockford Files. He showed me that you can take up piano lessons at almost 70 years old. He read The Christmas Story every year before we open presents, he prefers quiet to chaos, he mutes TV commercials. He loves Western movies, toy cars, southern cooking, and my Grandma Grace. I know, without a doubt, that no matter what happens, it will all be okay. Even if I lose my Grandpa Herman on Earth, I'll never lose the man he is. I'll never lose one of the greatest role models I've ever had.


UPDATE: Grandpa is doing well. They are keeping him overnight for observation. Grandma is back home and will be joining the family in The Amen Corner tomorrow morning. Everything worked out in God's timing, all the right people did all the right things and God was right where He needed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment