Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hi, I'm Mrs. Villafuerte

This is me on an average day

I'm 23 years old. Newly married. Dichotomous blend of extrovert and introvert. The Rainman of movie, music, and television trivia. Pursuer of delicious coffee. Pasta enthusiast. Lover of all things interesting. Sunglasses connoisseur.

Allow me to introduce you to my family. First off, this is my husband, Manuel. He's half Mexican. He thinks I'm swell, the feeling is mutual. We're a little stranger than your average married couple. 

We live in a rented farmhouse just outside of the town he grew up in, slightly outside of the town I went to college in. I frequently lament to coworkers and friends that I'm "trapped" here, as I would much rather be living in my hometown or any other town in the continental United States. Yeah, that's how much I absolutely love it here. As much as I absolutely detest this town and its tiny excuse for the nearest "city", I will continue to live here. Why? I still have 18 months of graduate school and I just started a job that I happen to love. Before I bombard you with my job duties I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce you to my children,  the only version of children I ever plan on having (until I eventually get a dog). These are my feline friends.

Top: the sissies, Left: Florence, Right: The Machine

When I named them I had not even met them yet. They are both rescues from a local shelter so they came with a few interesting characteristics. Florence? She lived under my refrigerator for the first two months. Mac? She made my beige couch her home and she's never left since. If she's not on my couch, or on me who is on the couch, then she is sleeping in my office chair. Florence? Who even knows where she is. She appears, disappears, destroys things, reappears, etc.
 

Anyway, back to my job. I was working in retail management for roughly the last year and a half. Can I just say that even though I worked retail for 4 years, I am probably the last person that should ever be working in retail. I am far too cynical, sarcastic and just plain rude to be doing anything in the lines of "customer service". Most of the time I was good, I could utilize my filters and self control, but when the occasional eye roll slips out it usually doesn't bode well for...well....any situation. 
Long story short, eventually someone picked up on the fact that I am not suited for retail and invited me to no longer work in such. My father told me it was for the best, he's convinced I'm way too smart for retail. Unfortunately for me, I think it's the kind of intelligence that allows you to snap back with witty remarks a little too easily, thus presenting you jobless. Alas, it turns out when you have two degrees and your heart is pure (or you have networking connections and interview skillz), you can get a job doing something that you're actually qualified for and happen to enjoy. 

I, for the past three-ish (threesh) weeks, have been working as a counselor at a residential facility for adolescent boys with behavioral, psychiatric, sexual disorders, etc. And? I love, love, love it. It balances the two parts of my personality that tend to cause me a lot of headaches.
I love structure. I like knowing where to be, when to be there, for how long, with what supplies, in what capacity and so forth. I like knowing what my day holds. However, I also love spontaneity. As much as I will plan an entire day out, I can still turn around and drop all plans because there's a Law and Order:Special Victims Unit marathon on TV. Yeah, I did that in college once the day before a midterm. My job allows me to please both of my personalities. Everyday is planned, structured and the exact same (for the most part), however, everyday is different. The boys' attitudes change, situations change, staff rotate, dynamics change, and it all mixes together to make for my new catchphrase, "never a dull day at the academy". 

My boys are hilarious. They say the most ridiculous things. Things you absolutely can NOT laugh at, which is so freaking hard when all you want to do is laugh. Instead, you hold your breath, walk away and regain composure. You have to keep it together when one of your residents is confused during the reading of Harry Potter and asks you if the golden snitch tells on people, because that's the only capacity he's known the word "snitch" in. You have to be comforting and understanding when your tiniest resident asks, while watching Captain America, if they could possibly have the "pumping up" procedure performed on them. You have to be as kind as possible when replying "Oh buddy, I don't think they've perfected that procedure yet." 
It's amazing. I feel like I have an awesome opportunity ahead of me and I actually look forward to going to work. How many people can still say that in this economy? 






No comments:

Post a Comment