Friday, November 4, 2011

My Psychoses Are Annoying Each Other

One could probably argue that procrastination isn't actually a psychosis, however, I'm pretty sure everyone could agree that OCD is. My psychoses are a learned trait, perhaps even a genetic predisposition. My mother was the epitome of a procrastinator, my father was the epitome of a control freak. I...am a control freak with a terrible procrastination problem. 
I won't even lie to you all at this point. At the age of 14 I was diagnosed and suggested a wonderful medication regimen for anxiety and depression, as well as given the grand diagnosis of obsessive compulsive tendencies. Yay! 
I gracefully refused all medication and instead took up the counseling approach. (Gee, I wonder where I developed my strong stance against psychotropic medication and for the importance of counseling)
 Luckily (?) for me my OCD is incredibly diminished. Now my compulsions are relatively common things that aren't intrusive to most of my everyday routines. My habits of not letting any food touch and eating out of separate bowls really just means more dishes for me. I've learned not to complain about the direction of the toilet paper but rather to just change it and move forward. 
The point of this post was never to really discuss my various issues but I suppose it is somewhat important. Why? Well, for the last three weeks there has been a pile of stuff in the corner of my living room. We got married on a Friday in my hometown, drove back to our house on Saturday, and left for our honeymoon on Sunday. We got back home the following Saturday, I spent Sunday trying not to die of the sickness that had hit me like a Mack truck, and I started my new job on Monday. 
For the past three weeks I have been working virtually nonstop. On top of that, I've had this disgusting cough/loss of voice since we got back from California (I'm thinking it was getting on the plane in the Bay at 94 degrees and getting off at Chicago at 48 degrees). Needless to say, the pile of gifts that we made in the corner...has been sitting there for three weeks. 

I look at it everyday. It's like this black cloud of doom. I know I have to put it away, I know it's annoying me, but I'd rather just sit down and relax. The last three weeks have been kind of stressful. Starting a new job, during which the first week my body was still on PST so I was basically waking up at 4am, was a little rough. Also, being sick and then the added bonus that my job requires me to be incredibly vigilant so I had a hard time sleeping the first week because I was so on edge. 

Anyway...I said all this to really say that "I did it!" I came home from work today at 3:30, took a little nap, watched this week's episodes of Glee, New Girl and The Big Bang Theory and then got to work. It took me a little over an hour to unpack everything and to decide where it went. Here are the four things I was really excited to unpack:
top: owl prep bowls from my Aunt Chris, left: an amazing cutlery set (that rotates) from my Dad and his girlfriend Ami, center: a CUPCAKE Scentsy from my matron of honor Addi and her hubby, right: a freaking OWL bamboo from my friend Alex and her husband Bobby, along with my friends Sam and Betsy

I totally love all four of these things. Why? Well, the owl prep bowls are pretty obvious (also if you look closely there's a matching towel in the background). I love owls and I love baking. Also, if need be, I can eat separate foods from each bowl :) The knives? Oh my goodness, Manuel and I constantly complain about never having good knives and never finding the kitchen scissors. Who doesn't love organized kitchen supplies?? I do. I tell you, I really, really, do. The cupcake Scentsy? Anyone that knows me knows that I'm obsessed with smelling good, having my car smell good and having my house smell good. I also...freaking love cupcakes. Guess what scent I put in? FRIED ICE CREAM! Yep, that's what my kitchen smells like...right...now! The owl bamboo? Well there's the obvious owl thing and then there's the whole bamboo thing. You know what's great about bamboo? It's really hard to kill. My college roommate had one that lived in our kitchen. Do you know how much light is in an apartment kitchen? Do you know how much water a bamboo plant gets over a month long Christmas break? Not much. That thing lived though. In fact, I bet it's still alive today, because I definitely packed that thing into her car during graduation week. 
Awesome. I'm like a real adult. I am in charge of living things both animal and plant and they're all still alive. 

1 comment:

  1. Sarah. Can I just say... I'm so glad you're blogging again :)

    ReplyDelete